Developing a Deeper Understanding of Subtraction Mat
In one lesson students learn the key subtraction vocabulary used in word problems. Students also learn the distinction in meaning among the terms minus, subtraction, and take away.
(Images may be discolored)
Developing a Deeper understanding of Subtraction Mat
- In this format students draw symbols to represent the numbers used in subtraction problems.
- Students list words that explain number comparisons in subtraction problems.
- Students are provided with cloze procedure sentences to help develop an awareness of how word problems are set up on standardized tests.
- Blank lines are provided to list ‘er’ words that appear on tests that signal subtraction will be involved in solving the problem at hand.
- On the reverse side students solve problems to learn the difference between minus, take away, and subtraction.